The printing house was established and named in 1935 by István P. Nagy printer, who was a great admirer of one of the greatest german painters and copper engravers Albrecht Dürer. Dürer’s goldsmith grandfather and father was from the town of Ajtós, which is close to Gyula.

During the following years the printing house underwent several administrative and structural changes. In 1980 the Dürer Printing House and the Kner Printing House in Békéscsaba went through a merger. The Dürer Printing House underwent considerable development, amongst other things, the current building was built in 1985, in place of the old building which was demolished. The political system change and privatization modified the position of printing industry considerably. When the privatization program began in 1990, one of the first companies to be privatized was the Kner Printing House, the effects of this were profound, in January 1st 1991 the Dürer Printing House Kft. was formed in Gyula.

In 1993, Kner Printing House narrowed its profile in Békéscsaba, as a result the hardbound book production was transferred to the Dürer Printing House. This was a great change in the life of the Dürer Printing House, since its job now was to manage the new enterprise which surpassed its previous size. The equipment as well as the technical and sales staff was also moved to Gyula. This is how the Dürer Printing House became a book printing base in the Great Plains, after printing softbound books and pamphlets. The company with a staff of 120 was now a  mid size company, it began producing almost exclusively books for the domestic and foreign markets.

2001 brought new changes in the life of the Dürer Printing House. The Austrian owner, the Franschach AG sold the company to the Imosoft Kft. and Mozaik Kft. in Szeged. The change in ownership and the following developments, the clients and the safe background of the owners made it possible for the company to rise and continue to occupy a stable position in the market. The Dürer Printing House has all personal and technical condition necessary for continuing the printing of Gyula city, Kner, Tevan traditions and satisfying the most sophisticated needs. Our printers have gained a lot of respect amongst Hungarian and foreign printers as well as book lovers everywhere, due to the quality of their work and their dedication.

Printing tradition in Gyula

The printing industry in Gyula was celebrating its 150th anniversary in 2006.

Based on official reports and maps showing individual house plots, it is certain that Lipót Réthy’s printing house in Gyula started operation on June 18th 1856, and continued working until October of 1858. During this period it produced several high quality publications, including several books. The building which housed the printing house, is in Eszperantó square at the facade of the new post office in Gyula.

The work of János Mogyoróssy; „Gyula hajdan és most” (Gyula in olden days and now) was published in the printing house of Lipót Réthy in 1858. Which, in a reprinted form is a fitting book for this anniversary.

The traditions of Dürer Printing House

In 1991 the current profile of the company was formed due to the privatization and changes in the Kner Printing House. In 1993 Dürer Printing House which was a subsidiary of Kner Printing House in Békéscsaba went from being a small printing house to entering into the world of mid size printing company, as a result of reorganization in Kner. All the hardbound book binding equipment and resources were transferred here. In 1997 Dürer Printing House became a subsidiary of the Cofinec Hungary Rt., which was created through the merger of the Kner and Petőfi printing companies.
The Kner Printing House became famous for its centuries of tradition in book printing which played an important role in forming the profile of the company, and in forming its dedication to quality. Dürer Printing House has all personal and technical condition necessary for continuing the Kner traditions and satisfying the most sophisticated needs. Our printers have gained a lot of respect amongst Hungarian and foreign printers as well as book lovers, due to the quality of their work and their dedication. We received international awards for our facsimilie publications repeating the works of past ages such as the Nekcsei Bible, the Jordánszky-codex, Bibliotheca Corviniana and the Kauffmann Haggada.